If you’re curious why the self help department has been exploding in recent years, here is what you need to know about personal development and how to jump on that journey.
You know that friend that is getting up before the sun, exercising religiously, refusing to eat sugar at the party, hiring a life coach, meditating every day, and always reading some new book on becoming a better version of themselves?
If that DOES NOT sound like you, but you know someone who fits the mold, you might be wondering…
What is this personal development thing, anyway?
It’s exploded on Pinterest lately, and has been booming in high performing circles over the last decade. It is a focus of people like Tony Robbins, Rachel Hollis, and Brene Brown.
Personal development is a journey people undertake to make the most out of their lives.
It is a concerted effort to reach your full potential.
It is the acknowledgement that life is what you make it, and the belief that you are in direct control over whether or not you achieve your dreams.
It is the understanding that the human spirit requires challenges and growth to feel fulfillment and the dedication to achieving those feelings of success.
Personal development is all about improving yourself so that you can live your best life!
What aspects of life does personal development affect?
Personal development is all about improving anything where you feel there is room for improvement. This includes
- Physical health
- Mental health
- Career satisfaction
Basically, any area of your life that you don’t feel is a 10/10 is eligible for improvement.
Why is everyone doing all this personal development stuff?
Personal development has huge rewards for the people who choose to prioritize it, and even for the people around them just by being aware of it.
Working on goals that bring you closer to the life you want to live creates an unbelievable sense of accomplishment. Life just feels bigger and brighter.
If you’re excited to set a goal and crush it this month, check out this goal setting template & success checklist!
You get it for free when you join our email community, along with weekly Monday morning motivation and practical strategies for overcoming the obstacles holding you back from achieving your goals!!
As the years pass, you realize the person you once were never would have thought it was possible to be the person you are today.
Embarking on the journey of personal development will
- Increase your confidence: you know what you want out of life and you’re working toward it. Your days are filled with purpose and as you achieve small things on the path to your dreams, you fuel your sense of self and radiate confidence out to the world.
- Improve your productivity: you’re no longer spending time on things that don’t matter because you’ve clarified what does matter. You know what your purpose is today and you are motivated to make progress every time you get out of bed in the morning. Scrolling through Facebook becomes much less enticing than getting closer to your end goals.
- Better your relationships: feeling better about what you’re doing with your life and with more time to spend on the things that matter, your relationships with the positive people in your life will flourish. You’ll be a happier person to be around, beaming with positive energy, and you will lift other people up, inspiring them to be the best versions of themselves.
- Strengthen your resilience: as you set goals that push you outside of your comfort zone, you will fall flat on your face sometimes. Working toward something and not achieving instant success will teach you the valuable lessons of getting back up and not giving up. Your fear of failure will subside as you learn that mistakes are part of the path to success and it is okay to make them.
- Solidify your identity: you’ve taken the time to figure out what you want out of life, and you’re equipped with the skills to ensure you’re still chasing the right dream with each passing year. This increased self awareness changes the way you think and feel and you strengthen your presence as you increase your sense of self.
Man, that all sounds good! But how do you get started?
Think about your life and where you aren’t showing up the way you want. Is it your relationships? Your career? Your health?
Start with one goal to improve that one thing. Then work your way up to a personal development plan to improve your whole life.
Work with a coach to accomplish your goals faster than you thought possible. Or find an accountability buddy to keep you on track.
Become inspired by the amazing personal development literature that exists.
Personal development is awesome because it allows you to take control and create the life you dream of. Because guess what?
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ‘Wow! What a ride!’HUNTER S THOMPSON
If you’ve been toying with the idea of reaching for more in your life, now is the time. You will never feel ‘more ready’ to make a change. It will never get more comfortable.
Personal development is about pushing outside of your comfort zone so that you can live a life exploding with joy.
What’s holding you back from becoming a bigger, better, bad*ssier version of yourself?